Sa kasalukuyan ay mayroong isa na namang isinasagawang kampanya sa bansang Brussels laban sa mga Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) products. Narito ang ilang mga punto na ipinadala sa atin ng Greenpeace... upang higit nating maalaman kung bakit ito tinututulan:
"The agro-chemical industry is already bombarding the Commission with lobbyists and messages. Greenpeace activists and campaigners are on the ground in Brussels, too. But with your voice, and your network of friends, we can deliver a louder, more direct message to Europe's top politicians".
"We have contact details for all 27 European Commissioners, talking points you can use in your message to them, and links to further reading. The vast majority of EU citizens are opposed to GMOs, and emails direct from people who care? in Europe, around the world ? can really work.
1. The two maize varieties that will be debated on 7 May 2008 produce their own pesticide. According to current practices these crops were only tested for 90 days for health effects whereas pesticides are tested for 2 years!
2. The GM potato contains a gene that makes cells resistant to antibiotics! If this were to get released into the environment there could be serious problems in treating diseases, such as tuberculosis.
3. Recently 37 scientists wrote a letter to the Commission pointing out from a scientific point of view the many gaps and uncertainties in relation to GMOs.
The majority of European citizens oppose the use of GMOs and this opposition has been consistent for the past 10 years.
4. Industry promotes GM crops as potentially feeding the world, however this has not materialised whilst ecologically sound farming models and methods show real potential. Recently, even the UN admitted that genetically engineered crops are not a solution for poverty, hunger or climate change.
5. The body responsible for advising the Commission on GMOs, the European Food Safety Agency (EFSA) is not doing its job properly. First of all it has recognized that it lacks the methods for carrying out long term assessment of the health and environmental impacts of GMOs. Secondly, it is relying on incomplete data that is submitted by the agro-chemical industry – and it hardly ever checks it properly.
Isang paglalahad ng katotohanan sa likod ng panlilinlang ng mga transnational corporations. 37 siyentista at milyun-milyong mga tao ang nagnanais na sana’y makamit natin ang tagumpay bago maging huli ang lahat...
Sa ating mumunting kaalaman at mumunting kasanayan... gamitin natin ito upang magbago ang ating lipunan!